Are men ‘gods’ or angels? ~~
1.- Scriptures proving a definite difference between MEN AND ANGELS.:
John 10: 35. If he called them gods, , unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
There is a very false and dangerous doctrine in the world today which uses the above Scripture (or rather misuses it)– to say and teach that men on this earth are gods. Some even go so far as to claim that they are equal to God.
I myself sat under this teaching many years ago. So I decided to search out if this were true or not. In my heart I knew it could not be true, but I wanted Scripture proof. And I found it. I wrote this message Feb. 14, 1986.
Here is exactly why most people are under total delusions and false beliefs today — they do not take the time to search the Scriptures as Jesus told us to do and prove all things. You will never know truth until you start doing this.
This doctrine also states that men are angels and visa/versus. But is there any truth to this? Well lets let the Word of God prove it or not.
Heb. 1: 6. And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7. And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
3. But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14. Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
Psm. 104: 4. Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:
Now this Scripture establishes that angels are spirits; a flame of fire. They were told to worship God’s Son, Jesus.
Heb. 2 5. For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.
6. But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
7. Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8. Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
9. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
(I would just give the Scripture reference to shorten this – but I know by experience that very few people would take the time to hunt them up and read them – so I will just quote them here. You can read it or not- it is up to you. The Word is here for all who desire to study and learn truth).
Now see that verse 5 said the world is not put in subjection to the angels. Keep this in mind. It is important to understanding this message. Verse 7 says that man was made lower than the angels and that man was set over the works of God’s hands, not the angels.
Verse 8 states again that all things were put in subjection under man (Jesus).
Verse 9 said Jesus was made lower (state of man) than angels for the suffering of death. So this is showing that as angels, he could not have died.
13. And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.
14. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15. And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16. For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
Verse 13 Jesus is speaking of us his children which God gave to him.
V.14- says that since we are of flesh and blood, Jesus also partook of flesh and blood. This proves Jesus was not an angel.
V. 16–Positively proves Jesus did not have the nature of angels but took on himself the seed of Abraham. To say otherwise is to call this Word a lie.
This also proves the lie William Branham said that God created in Mary the egg and sperm therefore Jesus did not receive any human flesh to be completely false. See how the Word of God proves all truth and disproves all the lies man has made up? It is so important to go by the Word of God and not man’s teachings. Branham said Mary was not the mother of Jesus- that she was only an incubator. Such an ungodly lie!
V.17 again states that Jesus was made like unto us his brethren.
If you will read Psalms 148 (not going to quote this to save space) you will see that verses 1-6 speak of angels and all the host of heaven telling them to praise the Lord. Verses 7 – 14 is speaking of the earth and the children of men here as a total different section from those heavenly beings in v. 1-6.
Genesis 32 1. And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
2. And when Jacob saw them, he said, This is God’s host: and he called the name of that place Mahanaim.
Here we have again proof that angels are God’s host. Heb. 1: 7 said angels are a flame of fire.
They are the chariots and horses of fire encamping around us.
11Kings 6: 17.
And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
11Kings 2: 11. And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
So this establishes that angels are these horses and chariots of fire. See they are a flame of fire. This is the heavenly creation of gods, angels. Same nature as God. Heb. 12: 29. For our God is a consuming fire.
I am going to have to just give you some of the references: this will be much too long if I continue to quote them all.
Psm. 90? 3-10 shows that children of men are like grass; not as a flame of fire and that they must be strong to live 80 years.
Psm. 103: 13. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
14. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
15. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
16. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
20. Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
21. Bless ye the Lord, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
This is a lot of writing but this one is much to necessary to this study to leave it out:
V. 14 proves our frame is just dust. V.15 is again saying we are as grass. V. 20 proves the angels EXCEL in strength. They are not as dust. They are spirits.
11Peter 2: 0. But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
11. Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
12. But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
Verse 11 proves angels are greater in power and might than dust man.
Michael, the arch angel, disputed with Satan over the body of Moses. He came to Daniel and is still alive and fighting the dragon at the end of this world – Rev. 12: 17, thousands of years later! Man’s days are 70, and if the make it to 80 it is by reason of strength! Psm. 9-: 10.
Gabriel, an angel came to Daniel; then to Mary and Zacharius– HUNDREDS of years later! These are not flesh beings, but Spirit beings (gods). If they are flesh-men HOW could they live this long?
Man is as grass- is alloted 70 years; 80 if he is strong.
Now I will give some Scriptures which proving angels and gods are the same beings.
Psalms 82: 1.
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
God stands in the congregation of the MIGHTY. These mighty ones are not men, which are weak and dust, able to live only about 80 years. No, these gods are the angels who are greater in might and power than man.
2. How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Here God is rebuking these angels because they judge unjustly and accept the persons of the wicked? God is asking them how long are they going to do this evil.
3. Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
In these two verses God is telling the angels to do what he gave them to do = which is: defend the poor
5. They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6. I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
See, he said these angels are gods – children of the most High – which is God the Father. He is the Father of SPIRITS. Jesus is the Father of the dust man. See, He said to them BUT ye shall die LIKE MEN. Why? Because they sinned, therefore God has set for them to be cast into hell. Then they say to him: v.8. for they acknowledge they did not judge rightly, so they tell God to do this and judge the earth.
8. Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.
Psm. 34: 7. The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
Psm 146 3. Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
Now see the proof that it is angels which stay around us and deliver us? This is the work of invisible spirits – not visible man. See that in man is no help?
Psm. 97: 7. Confounded be all they that serve graven images, that boast themselves of idols: worship him, all ye gods.
8. Zion heard, and was glad; and the daughters of Judah rejoiced because of thy judgments, O Lord.
9. For thou, Lord, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.
This goes with the Scripture in Heb. 1: 6-telling these spirit beings, gods, to worship him.
Dan. 6: 22 – shows an ANGEL delivered Daniel from the mouth of Lions. No mere flesh man could have done this. …. a job given to the ‘gods’ or ‘angels’…. Psm. 82 & Psm. 134: 7.
Psm. 97: 9- shows Jesus exalted above ‘gods’.
Heb. 1: 4 – shows Jesus exalted above ‘angels’.
PROOF that the Word came to ANGELS:
John 10: 35. If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came…….
Revelation 1: 1. The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Rev. 10: 9 10–John received the Word (Book) from an angel.
Rev. 22: 6, 8, 10, & 16–Shows that an angel was giving John the Word. Also the angel refused to be worshiped.
Rev. 14: 6- shows an angel had the everlasting gospel to PREACH to them on earth.
Gal. 1: 8– Paul said an angel from heaven could preach the Word (either in truth or falsely.)
Rev. 18: 1-3—Shows an angel from Heaven had the Word to proclaim what happened to Babylon.
Rev. 14: 14-15– shows an angel had the Word to tell Jesus when to reap the earth.
Rev. 1: 20–Seven angels are over the seven churches – giving them the word.
Rev. cp. 8 and 16 – shows angels sound the seven trumpets of God’s Word and also the seven vials.
Ex. 23: 20- 23–shows God sent an angel to lead Moses and to keep him. Moses was told to obey that angel. This is what Paul was showing in Heb. 2: 2 that angel’s every word has to be obeyed.
Psm. 91: 11, 12– shows God gave His angels charge over His own Son – to keep him and to bear him up in their hands.. something no mere man could have done.– PROVING that the ANGELS are the ‘gods’ spoken of in Psm. 82 to DELIVER God’s people.
Matt. 4: 6 , 11– shows ANGELS came and MINISTERED to Jesus after the tempter left him – proving the ANGELS are God’s ministers.
Matt. 16: 53 — Jesus witnessed that if he asked His Father, He would send him more than 12 legions of ANGELS to DELIVER Him —- He needed not man’s help. He knew angels were the O.T. ‘gods’ ordained by God to deliver poor and needy man.
Luke 22; 43 —- shows and angel came from Heaven to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane as he prayed for deliverance from the cup – and STRENGTHENED him. (no man came down and strengthened God’s Son—- they all forsook him.)
In Ex.22: 28 — Moses gave the people a command not to revile the ‘gods’ . Now we know he could not have meant an idol of false god. He meant those angels who have charge over us. In the N.T. they are not referred to as ‘gods’; for God gave Jesus power over all flesh. John 17: 2. Now Jesus is our God; not the angels.
Acts 27: 23, 24 — An angel of God came to Paul in time of trouble (for they are God’s ministers to His Saints). No mere man came to Paul on that boat and told him they would all be safe.
Acts 14: 9-18—- this shows the people thought Paul and Barnabas were ‘gods’ — because of the healing. But in verse 15, Paul said NOT SO – HE SAID THEY WERE JUST MEN LIKE THEM. See?
If Paul believed this modern-day theory that Christians are ‘gods’ – WHY did he deny it? He did NOT believe or teach such a thing – neither did the other apostles.
James 5: 17 — He referred to Elias as a MAN of like passions as us – never referred to him as a ‘god’.
In Acts 12: 21, 23 –Herod made a speech and the people said it was the voice of a ‘god’ and not of a MAN. An ANGEL smote him with worms (something no mere man could have done) because he let the glory go to a ‘god’ instead of GOD.
The living God is always spelled with a capitol G. The other ‘gods’ are always spelled with a small ‘g’.
Notice in Acts 10: 3-7– an ANGEL told Cornelius to send for Peter (no man told him that —- see the Scriptures are FULL of the work angels do for God – ministering to His people – caring for us!
Now, v.25 – 26 – when Cornelius attempted to WORSHIP PETER, Peter stopped him and said, “I myself also am a MAN”. See He never called himself a ‘god’ nor allowed someone to worship him. He never called himself ‘Christ’ either. Anyone who does is False. Matt. 24: 5,23, 24.
Matt. 18: 10–Jesus said the angels do always behold the face of the Father and watch over little children.
1John 4: 12; John 6: 46; & John 5: 37 —- all prove NO MAN (except Jesus) has ever seen God. But he said the angels ALWAYS behold His face!
So you see, the angels are as Peter said, a higher, greater form of life than man. But Jesus said in the Resurrection we would be equal to angels, but not equal to God & Jesus for they are higher than the angels — Heb. 1: 4 . WE WILL NEVER BE AS GREAT AS GOD; NOR EQUAL TO GOD!
Romans 3: 4 – LET GOD BE TRUE BUT EVERY MAN A LIAR.
God gave His Word to angels — they gave it to the Prophets — they gave it to men. They wrote it down. Now we get it from the written Scriptures. No more Prophets telling us the Word, except that which is already written in the word. But it was the angels, not the prophets to whom he referred when he said he called them gods to whom the Word came.
All the preceding Scriptures are God’s Word. May His blessing and anointing be upon all who read this for true understanding.
Feb. 14, 1986