1. Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2. For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4. Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
5. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
6. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
I feel led of God to do a study on each verse of Romans 7. This chapter is one of the most mis-understood passages of Scripture if all the Book.
1. Paul says here that he is speaking to them that know the law. It is about those under the law. He said that law has dominion, or control over a man as long as he lives. So this would appear, at first to mean that there could never be any deliverance from that law; for it would be in force over the man until the man died.
Now for sure, this is how the majority of people still believe about it. But watch how Paul shows the way to become FREE FROM THE DOMINION OF LAW.
v2–He likens this relationship between men and the law to the marriage of a woman and man. He said if the husband (the one with the dominion, or rulership, or control) be dead, the woman is then free from the law, free to marry another.
v3–shows she would be an adultress to marry another WHILE her first husband lives.
v4–This is very important.
You are become DEAD to the law —
By the body of Christ.
So we can be married to another (other than the law)– married to Jesus.
By this marriage, or union to Jesus, we can now bear fruit to God. (Not while we were married to law).
Now get this! It is very important to see this, to set you free from that law.
You CANNOT BE MARRIED TO JESUS CHIRST SO LONG AS YOU LIVE BY LAW. YOU ARE THEREFORE MARRIED TO THAT LAW, AND YOU WOULD BE A SPIRITUAL ADULTRESS TO TRY TO MARRY CHRIST WITHOUT FIRST LETTING THAT LAW BE DEAD TO YOU.
That is very clearly taught right here, Paul’s words, God’s Words; not mine.
If you try to be married to Jesus yet still married, or alive to law, then you are in sin = adultry.
That law (or first husband) has to be DEAD to you, BEFORE you can go marry Jesus.
That is why Paul said if you go back to law, Christ is of no effect to you. You cannot be married, or joined to Chirst and law at the same time; for that is two husbands.
In Hebrews, Paul said Moses was a servant over his own house, or body.
Jesus is a son over his own house, or body, which is the true Church.
You cannot be part of both. One must die so the other can live and be your husband.
v5–shows that the motions of sin worked by the law and this brought forth DEATH. (he is speaking of to those under law – they are dead).
v6– (very important verse)–Now we are DELIVERED from the law.
Read that again, NOW WE ARE DELIVERED FROM THE LAW,
THAT BEING DEAD (see, here he showed the death of that first husband, = law)– it is saying the law is DEAD, that being DEAD wherein we were held (held by law)
The purpose of this death of law, and our deliverance from it —- that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness (that which waxeth OLD is ready to VANISH AWAY)–
of the LETTER. Now this proves the LETTER is that old, dead law.
So, these verses clearly PROVE that one must be dead to the law, the law dead to you BEFORE you can marry Chirst.
You are still part of that old body of Moses until that law is dead to you and you are delivered from it.