~~~~~ Their eyes were blinded ~~~~
Isaiah 6:5. Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.
6. Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:
7. And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.
8. Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
9. And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
10. Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
11. Then said I, Lord, how long? and he answered, Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate,
12. And the Lord have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land.
In verse 5, the Prophet said I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips. After he had been cleansed, he was told to go tell THIS people (Who? those O.T. Jews) — Hear but don’t understand; see, but perceive not.
Shut their eyes lest they see, and their ears, so they cannot understand and convert and be healed.
How Long Lord? Until the cities be wasted and the land utterly DESOLATE.
See, this is the same I have taught on other messages —- that old Jerusalem was made DESOLATE. Why? Because they clung to Moses (law) after Jesus (grace) came.
Verse 12 — the Lord removed men far away — into the N.T.
Isaiah 29: 9. Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
10. For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
11. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
12. And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.
13. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14. Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
15. Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?
16. Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter’s clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?
17. Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?
18. And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.
19. The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
20. For the terrible one is brought to nought, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off.
Here in verse 9, the O.T. people are told to wonder at the ones on the Day of Pentecost — for they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
This is prophecy about the actions of those N.T. converts when they were Baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Now, verse 10–The O.T. unbelievers were told the same thing Isaiah prophesied in Chapter six — that God had poured upon them the spirit of deep sleep, and had closed their eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
See, God had closed their eyes (understanding) so they could not believe — why? Because they clung to Moses (law) after Jesus (grace) came.
See then it told that they could not understand the Book of the Lord.
The next verses tell how they lost their wisdom and thought God did not see them in their sins.
Verse 16, is speaking to the apostles who had turned the world upside down. It was esteemed as the potter’s clay – God making us into His new image = the Christian.
They turned it into a fruitful field. In that day the deaf (the Gentiles) heard the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind began to see; For Jesus had turned to the N.T. People to take His people out of there.
John 12: 34. The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
35. Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
36. While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
37. But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
38. That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
39. Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40. He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
41. These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.
Now in the above Scripture, we see the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophesy: v40- He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart, that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
So see, that the Law group who held to Moses after Jesus came, were blinded and could not see or understand and believe. They COULD NOT BELIEVE – BECAUSE THAT LAW BLINDED THEM — IT IS DARKNESS —- IT IS DEATH —– THE LORD SAID THEY WERE IN DARKNESS — THIS IS WHY THEY CANNOT BELIEVE IN THE MIRACLES OF GOD FOR OUR DAY —- THEY CANNOT BELIEVE IN HOLY DREAMS, VISIONS, GOD TALKING WITH US, ANGELIC VISITS, OR ANY OF THE OTHER GLORIOUS THINGS RECORDED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT —– THEY ARE BLIND.
So says this word. It clearly identified the ones who hold to Moses, or Law, as the ones He is speaking of who are blinded and in darkness.